Saturday, October 22, 2011

Jesus Who?


by Tim Howard

Back in 1999 I had the privilege of attending a major league baseball game with my two sons. The weather was great, the teams were equally competitive and the opportunity to spend some extended time with my boys was a real treat.

While sitting in our designated seats two men walked past us and entered three rows ahead of ours. Since I was eating a hot dog I didn’t really notice their entrance except for the fact they seemed to be very tall. With emphasis on the word ‘very.’ Within a 15 second span of time my oldest son leaned over and asked if I recognized one of the two men. I responded by saying no.

He acted a bit surprised as if I should have known him and then said his name is Kevin Johnson to which I responded Kevin Who?  Then for the next 30 minutes I heard about Kevin’s prominent position on the Phoenix Suns Basketball team. His Rookie of the Year award, his Most Valuable Player awards, his All-Star Game Most Valuable player award and on and on and on…

Even though I left the stadium that day feeling like I knew a lot about Mr. Johnson, I never actually met him personally.

Like my son I might be a bit surprised if someone living in America had never heard the name Jesus. I met some people this year in Ethiopia and my wife met some individuals in India who had never heard the name Jesus or Jesus Christ, but in America, that name is prominent. Whether it’s spoken with disdain, contempt or with respect and gratitude it is a name used frequently in our culture.

In Matthew 16:16 the Apostle Peter was asked the question: Who is Jesus and he responded by saying: He is the Christ, Son of the living God. If you haven’t heard about Jesus like I hadn’t heard about Kevin Johnson, Colossians 1:15-20 gives one of the most concise, accurate and clear pictures of Jesus that brings understanding to our minds. Here’s what it says:

Col. 1:15-20  “Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before God made anything at all and is supreme over all creation. Christ is the one through whom God created everything in heaven and earth. He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see—kings, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities. Everything has been created through him and for him. He existed before everything else began, and he holds all creation together. Christ is the head of the church, which is his body. He is the first of all who will rise from the dead, so he is first in everything. For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and by him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of his blood on the cross. NLT.
  
When I left that stadium in 1999, it was good to know a few facts about Mr. Johnson but it would have been nice to meet him and talk personally. The chances of that happening, however, are slim to none. He is famous, he is out of my league, and he wouldn’t have time and a host of other reasons.

From Colossians you now know a few facts about Jesus. But the good news is you can meet Him personally. He’s famous but not too busy to meet with you. Why not visit one of the many Church families in Kings County this weekend and let them help you answer the question: Jesus Who?  

No comments:

Post a Comment