Saturday, December 31, 2011

Top 10 Decisions for 2012

by Tim Howard

Someone said: “You are today where your decisions have brought you and you will be tomorrow where your decisions take you.” All of us make hundreds of decisions each and every day. What we choose to wear, when we start our day, how we will get to work, what we will eat and on and on and on…

Many decisions will not alter you in a dramatic sense but there are some decisions that will shape you and your destiny in profound ways. Events, experiences and other occurrences don’t have the power to shape you. It’s not what happens to you that matters most but the decisions you make regarding how you will respond to those happenings.

Here are 10 decisions that prove to be anything but stupid.  They have been used by God to shape many individuals into people of substance.  If you’re looking for a Top Ten list, for 2012 you might want to consider some of these.
10. I will leave everything a little better than I found it. Putting it another way: I will give more than I take. If you make this decision, a promise follows: “Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity." Luke 6:38
9. I will listen and think before I speak.  Maybe that’s why God gave us two ears and one mouth. James 1:19 everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak
8. I will measure people by the size of their hearts, not the size of their bank accounts. Don’t be impressed by what you see. Like the Pharisees in the Bible, What is seen externally is not always a good indication of what’s really going on below the surface. Check out Matt 23:25-27.
7. I will not give up on anyone because miracles happen every day.  Parents especially need to hear this regarding their children. I personally thank God for parents who didn’t give up on me.
6. I will work on my own inadequacies before I critique and criticize others.  “It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.” Matt 7:3-5 The Message
5. I will work for what I get rather than expect others to give me a handout.  When you do this you do away with a spirit of entitlement.
4. I will take responsibility for my own life rather than blame someone else. 
3. I will praise God at all times.  David penned these words in Psalm 34 because he knew that God is at work even in the difficult moments of life.

2. I will love my neighbor as myself. Matt. 22:39
1.  I will Love the Lord with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind and with all my strength.’ Mark 12:30

 These 10 decisions for 2012 may not be the ones you choose to follow but they will shape your life for the good if you do. Whatever you’ve decided to do in the upcoming year, make sure you don’t do it alone. Allow God to participate and partner with others. You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment