Saturday, August 11, 2012

Are You Rich?

by Tim Howard

Grandchildren are great! My 6-year-old grandson recently asked: “Poppy… are we rich.” I responded by asking him what he meant when he used the word ‘rich’? He then replied: “ you know… do we have enough money to buy me a toy today?” On the basis of that question, I have to admit I am rich. Even though we didn’t purchase a toy that day, I could afford to do so. 

When we think of those who are rich, we too often think of the ones who have large sums of money and an overload of possessions. Assets, 401K’s, investments and a great cash flow may be a part of the wealth equation but surely not everything. 

Revelation 3:17 “You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.” From God’s vantage point: riches extend far beyond the material and temporal realm.

A distraught wife sought out a Christian marriage counselor and told her sad story of a marriage about to dissolve. “But we have so much!” she kept saying. “Look at this diamond ring on my finger. Why, it’s worth thousands! We have an expensive, beautiful house in an exclusive area and even one on the coast. Why, we have everything money can buy!” We are rich…
The counselor replied, “It’s good to have the things money can buy provided you don’t lose the things money can’t buy. What good is an expensive house if there’s no home? What good is an expensive ring if there’s no love?”

Jesus put it this way: Matt. 16:26… what good will it be for a person if he or she gains the whole world, yet forfeits his or her soul?

 Paul the apostle in Ephesians Chapter 1 lists several blessings that belong to those who follow Jesus Christ and are a part of his family. He refers to them as ‘spiritual blessings - not monetary assets.’ 

You are rich because God chose you. Verse 4. You aren’t an afterthought, unwanted or unplanned.  You are loved, desired and specifically chosen by God.

You are rich because you have a God-ordained purpose. Verse 5. You don’t have to merely exist, scrape by or survive but you can live fully and thrive!

You are rich because God values you enough to make an investment by redeeming you. Verse 7a. There is no need to struggle with a sense of worthlessness because he valued you by giving his life.

You are rich because God has forgiven you. Verse 7b. In Him we have … the forgiveness of our trespasses... Guilt, shame and condemnation lose their power in the life of one who is forgiven.

I personally wasn’t born into a wealthy family according to our culture’s standards. When my parents passed on, the monetary value of there possessions were so small, each child received less than $1,000.00. While the inheritance was minuscule in a temporal sense, the legacy was large. 

My parents taught me about God! I have lived life knowing I am chosen, I am valuable, I am free, I am here for a purpose, I’m not alone and I am forgiven. Those are treasures you can’t buy! Maybe we need to rethink our definition of ‘riches’. Are You Rich?

You may have enough money to buy a grandchild a toy, but you may not be wealthy. I’m not wealthy but I am rich. So are you if you know Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment