Saturday, March 5, 2011

In The Waiting

by Tim Howard


If you ever see me at a store waiting in the checkout line, don’t get behind me! I’ve not been given the gift from God that enables people to choose the line that will require the shortest amount of time. It doesn’t matter what store I frequent or what time of the day, the result is generally the same. In similar fashion, I am positive that all the slow drivers in Hanford follow me around town whenever I get behind the wheel of my car.


Whether it’s waiting in the checkout aisle or waiting behind an automobile driver who seems to move slower than I prefer, patience is not my strongest suit. That’s unfortunate because waiting is a part of life and there is no escape. I remember this incredible feeling that surfaced in my senior year of High School when I just couldn’t wait until I graduated. Then I couldn’t wait to get into college, I couldn’t wait to get married, I couldn’t wait to have children, the list goes on and on… you are always waiting for something!


Patience is the ability to wait with a positive attitude. It is an old English word that means ‘longsuffering’. One person asked, “How long does one have to suffer?” and someone answered: “Longer than you want.” That says it all! Patience is waiting longer than you want for something to happen.


What we often overlook is the work God is trying to accomplish in us while we are in the waiting process. From His vantage point it is not idle time. It is not a time to twiddle our thumbs or tread water until something changes. It is an opportunity to expose what’s on the inside and deal with our character. When I wait with the wrong attitude, I see frustration, irritation, sometimes anger and intolerance coming to the surface. The waiting doesn’t create these character flaws but reveals them.


God tells us in the book of James, chapter one, that times of waiting will test our faith. Once you pass the test, however, you can move on to greater things. The author puts it this way: “…when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything.”


Learning to wait is essential. Everything cannot, should not and will not happen NOW or as quickly as you might desire. Instant gratification may be prevalent in our culture but delayed gratification will build character when your attitude is correct.


There is danger in the waiting period. You might be tempted to draw wrong conclusions about God. You may start to doubt His love for you. You may think He has forgotten about your situation. You may even be tempted to take matters into your own hands since He isn’t moving as fast as you would like. Let me assure you God hasn’t forgotten you. He is never late and He always has your best interest in mind.


The next time you are in the waiting process, check out what’s going on internally and take note of what’s coming to the surface. Don’t forget that God is at work in you to develop your character in these times. If you remember this you might even be able to relax and rejoice in the waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment