Saturday, February 4, 2012

Procrastination

by Andrew Cromwell

It has been said that the busiest day in people’s lives is “tomorrow.” To one degree or another, we all have a problem with procrastination.

Recently, I put off taking my car to get smogged. I kept telling myself I would do it, but I just didn’t. When the last day came before the late registration penalties kicked in, I started up my car to drive down to the smog shop. Wouldn’t you know it, the check engine light popped on as if to teach me a lesson. Needless to say, it was a challenging day and all because I procrastinated.

For some of us, procrastination is an art. We have become so good at waiting to the last minute, we don’t even know how to do life any other way. But even for those who would not consider themselves to be chronic procrastinators, there are always some things we keep delaying and putting off. Maybe we do it because we just don’t know how to begin, we are afraid of failing, we are stubborn or we are just plain lazy.

In and of itself, procrastination is not the worst thing in the world. The real question is are we procrastinating about the wrong things? The truth is, some things can wait. Whether or not I wax my car this week or next month is probably not that big of a deal. On the other hand, the conversation I need to have with my spouse or my kids is vitally important.

Some things need to be done now. Jesus said, “If you love me, you will obey My commands.” He didn’t say, “If you love me, obey me when you get around to it!”

I believe there are three things we need to do now and not delay. First, we need to get right with God. No one is guaranteed tomorrow and no one knows how long his or her life is going to be. The most important and vital thing for us to do is get right with our Creator.

Second, we need to get right with others. In Matthew 5, Jesus tells us it is more important to go and fix broken relationships then it is to go to church! If you have offended someone, go and ask forgiveness — stop delaying. Broken relationships do not fix themselves.

Third, we need to get busy serving others. We have this constant tendency to think our life is about making us happy. It’s not. Jesus said that the way to get life is to give up yours. True life is found when we invest our lives in serving others. James, the brother of Jesus, said, “true religion is to visit the orphan and widow.”

Sometimes we are so busy doing things that are unimportant, we fail to do the things that are really important. Maybe you need to change your life around so that you can do the stuff that really matters. I know I do.

The pastors in Kings County would love the opportunity to encourage you to get focused on the right stuff this weekend.  Why don’t you stop putting off what you need to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment