Saturday, August 18, 2012

Smile, You'll Feel Better


by Andrew Cromwell

It is amazing how our outside affects our inside. I’m not talking about what is going on around you, but instead what you are doing with your face. Too many people walk around with a sour expression, looking as if they like to suck on lemons for fun.

All of us know that there is a correlation between facial expression and what is going on inside. If someone is sad, depressed or just generally having a bad day, then nine times out of ten their face will show it. If they are feeling happy, then their face is bright, their eyes light up and when they smile they look like they have more teeth than the average person. We take this for granted -- what is inside is generally reflected on the outside.

What we forget is that sometimes, the best way to get out of feeling sad, is to make our face do the opposite of what we are feeling. Instead of walking around with a long face, you decide to put a smile on. Of course it helps immensely if you also stop focusing on the negatives and instead focus on the positives.

I did this just the other day when I was feeling glum. I realized that I had been pretty much focusing on all the reasons why I was justified to feel sad and sorry for myself. My face was expressionless at best and pouty at worst. The more I brooded the worse I felt and the nastier my face got.

Then I asked myself what good this was doing. It wasn’t going to change anything and it certainly wasn’t winning me any points with my family. So I gave myself a little talkin’ to and decided to stop focusing on all the reasons why I was justified to feel bad, and instead start focusing on what I could do to change my situation. I started with putting a smile on.

At first, my smile was forced and looked more like a snarl, but I kept trying. I even did my best to make my eyes sparkle! Suddenly, I found that it was easier to think good thoughts and my smile was less forced. And as I thought more good thoughts, I smiled more and before I knew it, my smile was not forced at all and my heart was happy.

Studies show that when you smile -- even if you’re faking it, the muscles that your smile is connected to begin to release endorphins into your bloodstream which makes you feel better. So this is not just a nice thought, it’s good science. Oh, and it’s spiritual too. The Bible says, “A merry heart does good like a medicine.” It’s almost as if God knows what He’s talking about!

The pastors in Kings County would love to help you discover how to bring the joy back into your life. Why don’t you give them a chance this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment