Thursday, November 21, 2013

Someone is Watching You

by Tim Howard

I drove by an office complex last week and noticed a camera attached to the outside wall of a local business and underneath the camera – a sign stated: “You Are Being Watched.” I’m not convinced the cameras were actually real but I do know the reality of that statement.

One of the current television programs, “Person of Interest” has brought this truth to light and if one is not careful, a certain level of paranoia can set in. Just knowing you are being watched when you don’t know you are being watched can cause a growing level of discomfort.

The truth be told, however, knowing someone is watching you can often keep you on the right track and deter you from doing destructive things. In the past I’ve caught myself being tempted by something not productive, positive or profitable and would have yielded to the impulse, had it not been for my awareness that other’s were watching.

When people seek to do wrong, they generally choose darkness over light. John 3:20 “Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be seen by others” For those who don’t want to live right, being seen by others is not a pleasant thought.

On the other hand, there is a very positive side to this truth. Knowing you are being watched can bring much joy and fulfillment. When I was a little boy, I recall how frequently I would shout to my parents vying for their attention as I was doing something spectacular… at least from my view.     

Dad! Mom! Look, Look, Look at me, me, me... I wanted to be at the center of their view. For some reason their glance meant a lot. This is not unique to me because I’ve witnessed it many times with my own children, my grandchildren and other’s as well.

Then there is God! Knowing He is watching you can cause fear or joy. For me, all my fears have turned to joy. Knowing His eyes are focused on me causes me to understand the value He attributes to me. Knowing His eyes are on me helps me to stop hiding my sin because it’s impossible to conceal. Knowing He’s watching me conveys a lot of comfort because I realize nothing takes Him by surprise.

Listen to David.

Psalms. 32:8 “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.” He’s like a coach who is watching every play in order to help the player improve.

Psalms 33:18 “But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him. On those who look to him for his unfailing love.” He loves to look you in the eye. When you seek to see Him, you will discover He is looking at you. You may lose sight of Him but He never loses sight of you.

Psalms 34:15 “The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry.” God does more than look. He gets involved when there is a request for help.

Someone is watching you! Your acquaintances your friends, your family, your children if you are a parent and your co-workers… Yes, even God.

Character is seen in what you do and how you live when you think no one is watching. Problem is: ‘Somebody is always watching you.’

No comments:

Post a Comment