Thursday, January 16, 2014

Remembrances

by Tim Howard

The gift of memory is wonderful – Especially ‘selective’ memory! 

Calling to mind the past can bring tremendous joy and help you recover from darkness and depression. Jeremiah in the book of Lamentations tells us how he was freed from depression – He recalled the goodness of the Lord in times past.

We all forget things occasionally and forgetfulness affects you on some level depending on what it is you have forgotten. I frequently forget where I put my keys and that results in frustration. I have missed some important appointments, which caused embarrassment and one time I forget my tickets to enter an event. 

If you read Psalms 106 you will encounter a people who forgot God’s goodness. Then they forgot all His good works and ultimately they forgot to involve God in their lives. When this happens life is drastically altered.

Of course there are certain things you ought to put out of your mind and cease to focus upon but other things you must not forget. The Apostle Peter nearing death knew the importance of remembrance and says: 2Pet. 1:12-15 “So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body because I know that I will soon put it aside as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. 

Someone said: “We need to learn something new less than we need to be reminded of what we’ve forgotten. 

Here are a few humorous reminders I’ve read over the years.

Remember: The only consistent feature of all your dysfunctional relationships is you.

Remember: When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you CAN’T do.

Don’t forget: Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.

Here are five significant reminders that might be helpful for you to remember as you walk out 2014.

1. What gets your attention ultimately gets you. 

Since this is true, the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4 tells us to focus on What’s true, noble, pure, positive etc… Your success and fruitfulness in 2014 will largely depend upon what you focus on. 

2. Even though you may be ‘IN’ pain, you don’t have to be ’A’ pain. 

All of us encounter some form of turmoil and pain but we don’t have to let it create a bad attitude. When this happens you become an odor and not a fragrance to others. 

3. You can give without love but you cannot love and not give. 

Therefore, make sure your giving isn’t based on pressure or guilt but love. Paul says: Cor. 13:3 “If I give all I possess to the poor…that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.”

4. The smallest act of obedience is better then the best of intentions!

5. What’s right isn’t always popular and what’s popular isn’t always right! 

Remembrances come in many forms. Don’t forget the important things of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment