Saturday, January 17, 2015

Change Agent


by Tim Howard

I don’t know if your parents did this or not but my parents tracked my physical growth progress. No, they didn’t use computers or the latest technology. Their method was Old School. They had me stand up straight in one of the doorways and made a mark on the door jam at the top of my head. As I grew, you could see many marks indicating the changes taking place… I started of at 22” and ended my journey at 5’9.” I wasn’t always aware of the changes taking place because change often is imperceptible. 

Most people have a desire to change and alter their lives in some way. They may say things like:  I’m ‘too’ short, my nose is ‘too’ big or my cheeks are ‘too’ fat. I’m ‘too’ young or I’m ‘too’ old. I have ‘too’ little money or ‘too’ little time. I’m ‘too’ fearful. I’m ‘too’ stupid, it’s ‘too’ hot or it’s ‘too cold’… Have you personally had a few of those ‘too’ thoughts? 

You might be interested to know God’s Word offers some insight and instruction that will help you make positive changes in 2015. Here are four truths that are important.  

1.   God’s priority is to change the internal and not primarily the external. The religious people back in the days of Jesus were interested in looking great rather than becoming great. They were famous for asking the “How Do I Look” question. Jesus, however, teaches that real life is expressed from the inside out. He wants to change the heart and attitudes of a person first. When the attitude changes the actions follow. 

 2.   Anything can change but not everything should change. It’s a human tendency to desire comfort and convenience. Some of the things that shape and develop character, however, are not always pleasant or easy. In the Bible, the book of Romans chapter 5 reveals that God uses adversity to make us stronger. When we seek to remove all difficulty and pain from our lives rather than persevere, we rob ourselves of an opportunity to grow stronger, deeper and ultimately higher. When you experience difficulty, it would be wise to pray that well-known prayer: “God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.”

 3.   Your priority is to see change in yourself. Jesus said to us in the New Testament book of Matthew chapter 7 these words: Why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye when you have a log in your own?” First get rid of the log from your own eye; then perhaps you will see well enough to deal with the speck in your friend’s eye. 

 4.   God wants to help you change because He has designed you to be a change agent. You can go it alone – reading self help books, acting on your own understanding and ability or you can discover the Creator’s divine design and ask Him to help. 

When these 4 truths are understood and acted upon – your growth will become evident to all. There will be marks that indicate your progress. God will use you to bring about positive change in others. After all – It’s not all about you… You are called to be a change agent and help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment