Saturday, August 15, 2015

You Are Valuable!

by Tim Howard

What do you truly value? Is it material? Is it relational? Is it spiritual?

All of us value something and those values translate into practical decisions. That’s why a person will park their automobile a long distance from the store, requiring them to walk a great length to do their shopping. They value their vehicle – The greater the value the greater the care and concern!

People will violate knowledge on a regular basis but they will make decisions on the values they hold. I know I shouldn’t have another scoop of ice cream but I do – regardless. If I value my health, however, I will more than likely say ‘no’ to over-indulgence. Values dictate decisions!

According to the dictionary, value is to regard something highly and deem it to deserve the status of being important.

Value, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people value certain things while others see those same items quite differently. What is worth much to you may be worth little to others.

My son values baseball cards but I don’t! He bought several boxes of cards back in the 1970’s and has never opened them. I asked why? He said they would be more valuable in years to come if they are unopened. They still remain in a box – waiting for that day when the true value will be revealed.

I read a story some time ago about a man who went into an antique shop with the intent purpose of finding some old cards. Like my son, he was interested in valuable baseball cards and after looking around for a bit he asked the owner if he had any. The man proceeded to take him into the back room and showed him some cards dating back to the 1900’s. As the shopper viewed them he noticed a very rare card that featured Hall of Famer Honus Wagner. He knew this card was very valuable and beyond his price range but asked the cost anyway. To his amazement the owner said he would sell it for $200.00. Trying to hold back his excitement because he knew the true value – he paid the total sum. The story continued and said the man later sold it for $ 200,000.

Sometimes you possess certain things and are unaware of the true value. Hidden value is like gold. It is often covered with dirt and debris and is not visible to the casual observer.

God never loses sight or your value because He put it there! He looks past the hurts, failures, experiences, sins and all the dirt because of His Love. His value for you is seen in His acts of grace toward you and His willingness to sacrifice His life so you might live.
I love my family! My wife and older sons grasp to some extent the extent of my love but my 9-year-old grandson doesn’t have a clue and cannot possibly fathom my love for him. I would die for him if necessary.

Jesus did die for us! You never have to question someone’s love for you if they die in your stead.

The Apostle Paul prayed: “I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ and to know this love that surpasses knowledge”

He considers you valuable!

No comments:

Post a Comment