Saturday, September 17, 2016

Who's There?

by Tim Howard

What parent hasn’t played the Knock-Knock game with their children? Come on dad! Come on mom!

Remember:
Knock-knock. Who’s there? Canoe! Canoe who? Canoe come out and play with me today?

Knock, knock. Who’s there? Moo! Moo Who?. Make up your mind – Are you a cow or an owl? 

Knock-knock. Who’s there? Atch. Atch who? Bless you!
                                                                                                         
Knock, knock. Who’s there? Boo! Boo who? Don’t cry, it’s just me.

Need I go on? I’m sure you get the picture! One evening at 8:30 pm I heard someone knock on our front door.  As I sat in my chair, I began to wonder who was there – only it wasn’t a game.

Was it someone selling magazines; was it someone wanting to steam clean my carpets or maybe a young child trying to sell candy bars for a school project? The only way to find out for sure was to open the door and invite them in but before opening the door I asked the question: ‘Who’s There?”

The author of Revelation – in the Bible, uses figurative language in chapter 3 when he tells us that God is standing at our door and knocking. He says: “If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him and he with me.”

I can understand why a person would not want to answer the door when someone comes knocking - because more often than not, their desire revolves around themselves and not you.

But what if the person who is knocking on your door has your best interest in mind?

Maybe he or she is knocking to say the windows in your car are down and it’s raining.

Maybe they want to drop of some freshly made tamales for you to enjoy or maybe the person is from Reader’s Digest and wants to inform you that you are the grand prizewinner of the sweepstakes?  Wouldn’t you run to the door and open it?

God doesn’t knock on your door to take anything from you because He already has everything! He doesn’t need what you have!  He knocks on your door because you need what He has!

He knocks because He wants to develop a relationship and share His wealth with you. When you open the door to Jesus, you begin a two-way relationship.  He eats with you and you get to eat with Him.

In 1973 a song called, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, was written and performed by Bob Dylan. It was about a sheriff who had been fatally shot and as he neared death - he began to knock on heaven’s door.

The good news is that you don’t need to be near death or die before developing a relationship with God. He’s reaching out to you right now. But you do need to open the door and invite Him in.

Even though it was 8:30 p.m., I did open the door and invited the couple inside. They declined the offer because it was late but they did give us a delicious loaf of Pumpkin bread –My favorite – because they loved us. Needless to say… I enjoyed the treat! – Great Neighbors!  I was glad I opened the door? 

Don’t miss what God has in store for you.  Open the door to Jesus and invite Him in.  You won’t be disappointed!

Knock-knock! Who’s there? Jesus. Jesus Who? Jesus your Savior… And that’s no joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment