Saturday, January 7, 2017

Building A Strong Future

by Tim Howard

Jesus said: “Everyone who hears my words and puts them into practice is like a wise man who builds his house upon the rock. When the rains come down – the rivers rise and the winds blow against that house – It will not fail.” Matt 7:24-25

Jesus surely isn’t talking to a group of contractors about actually building houses. He is sharing principles to build a life worth living and a life that will withstand any and all pressures.

To build a strong future – you must build upon a firm foundation and the Bible clearly states that Jesus is our foundation. If our lives are built upon His life and words we will stand. Using a metaphor to describe God, David said:

The LORD is my rock – my fortress and my deliverer… in whom I take refuge...” Psalms 18:2

Here are 10 foundational declarations that Jesus taught. If you personalize these declarations and put them into practice throughout 2017 – You will be wise!

10. I will give more than I take. “Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity." Luke 6:38

9. I will listen and think before I speak.  Maybe that’s why God gave us two ears and one mouth. James 1:19 everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak

8. I will measure people by the size of their hearts – not the size of their bank accounts. Don’t be impressed by what you see – Looks can be deceiving!

7. I will not give up on anyone because miracles happen every day!  We grow exponentially when someone believes in us.

6. I will work on my own inadequacies before I critique and criticize others.  “It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.” Matt 7:3-5 The Message

5. I will work for what I get rather than expect others to give me a handout. A spirit of entitlement is pervasive throughout our culture. 2 Thess. 3:10 “… If anyone is unwilling to work – let him not eat.”

4. I will take responsibility for my own life rather than blame someone else. Our future lights up with possibilities when we do!

3. “I will praise God at all times.”  David penned these words in Psalm 34 because he knew that God is at work even in the difficult moments of life – building stamina and character.

2. “I will love my neighbor as myself.” Matt. 22:39

1.  “I will Love the Lord with all my heart and with all my soul and with all my mind and with all my strength.” Mark 12:30 

When a person makes these 10 declarations and begins to live them out – he or she builds on a solid foundation and builds a strong future.

No comments:

Post a Comment