Saturday, August 24, 2019

Good Luck!

by Sylvia Gaston
How many times have you said that to someone? I say it all the time to kids who are playing sports or taking a test or to someone making a presentation. Technically speaking, is it really luck that determines these outcomes?
Luck is defined as success or failure brought by chance rather than through one's actions. Our successes and failures are usually brought on by choices we’ve made or by whether or not we have adequately prepared for that game, test or presentation.
How does luck relate to fate? Fate is defined as the development of events beyond a person's control, as determined by a supernatural power. What supernatural power? Are we talking about God here?
Lastly, I’ve heard my teenagers and their friends say “Karma!” to someone who has an unfortunate thing happen. By saying this, they mean, “That’s what you get (or deserve)”. In Hinduism and Buddhism, karma refers to the sum of a person's actions in this and previous lives that determine their fate in their future lives.
What does luck, fate or karma have to do with my life? Absolutely nothing!
There are two important fundamental beliefs that I wish each man, woman, and child would believe and live out. (There are more but let’s focus on these two for now)….
1.    God created you on purpose.
2.    God created you for a purpose.
In the Old Testament of the Bible, God speaks directly to Jeremiah, His prophet. Jeremiah, in turn, shares God’s words with the people. In Jeremiah 1:4-5, he says, “The Lord’s message came to me: “Before I made you in your mother’s womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I chose you for a special work.” (ERV)
David, of David and Goliath fame, puts it this way . . .
“O Lord, you have examined my heart
     and know everything about me.
 You know when I sit down or stand up.
     You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
 You see me when I travel
     and when I rest at home.
     You know everything I do.
 You know what I am going to say
     even before I say it, Lord.
 You go before me and follow me.
     You place your hand of blessing on my head.
 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
     too great for me to understand!” (Psalm 139:1-6)(NLT)
 It wasn’t luck, fate or karma that created you. It was God. You are precious to Him. He loves you with an unconditional love that we humans cannot fully comprehend or replicate.
AND He created you for a reason, a purpose. When we live out our life doing what our Creator created us to do, then and only then, are we truly living our best life. 

So, what is my purpose, you may ask? I have only begun to grasp some of the things that I’m certain God created me to do. It is a lifelong conversation with God, listening and watching for His promptings and confirmations. Each of us must seek Him to find answers to that paramount question. To that, I say good luck (just kidding)!

No comments:

Post a Comment