Saturday, September 26, 2015

What’s Your Focus?

by Tim Howard

Back I my mid-forties, I noticed a change happening in my vision.  Things that were once crystal clear became blurred, distorted and difficult to see.  Being somewhat of a pessimist, I must admit the thought of blindness entered my mind.  Unable to discern what was truly happening I shared my experience with my wife and children, who diagnosed the problem rather quickly.  They simply said, “You’re getting old and need glasses!”  They were right – even though I rejected the ‘old’ part!

Whether you are old or young, the need to see life and maintain a clear focus is extremely important.  Without it, you will spend endless amounts of energy engaging in things that are very unproductive.

Your schedule will be busy but progress will be minimal. We all know people whose lives are always on the go but the answer to the question: ‘Where are they going’ – remains elusive.

People like this remind me of an airline pilot who once said to the people on board: “I’ve got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is – We have lost our sense of direction and don’t know where we are or where we are going. The good news is – we are ahead of schedule and making great time.”

Paul the Apostle described his focus this way in Phil 3:12-16 “ …I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus.  I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.  So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us.  If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet!  Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it.”

As a hunter sets his sights on his prey - your and my sights need to be set on those things that are worthy of attention.  Paul made God’s purpose the focal point of his life and by doing so, was able to see with 20/20 vision.  He didn’t need glasses because God opened his eyes and gave clarity.  If it happened for Paul, it can happen for us!

I encourage you to make God’s Word a focal point. It has some great and wonderful words of wisdom for those who follow Him and for those who haven’t made that choice.  Amazing thing happens when you read, research and reflect on the Bible.  Your insight begins to develop and your perspective begins to change.  God’s Word is like an airplane, it lifts you up to an altitude where the view of life is radically altered.

I also encourage you to make others a focal point. A child’s nature is self-centered and self-seeking. They focus on themselves and want others to focus on them as well. That’s called immaturity! God’s call for us is to become mature and the only way to break immaturity is to change our thinking and focus. Self-centeredness is never a good focus.

1Cor. 14:20 Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil but in your thinking be mature. NIV


1 Cor. 13:11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child – I thought like a child – I   reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. NIV

 Remember, what gets your attention and focus will ultimately get you!

No comments:

Post a Comment