Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Open Doors

by Tim Howard

My first job after graduating from high school – at the age of 19 was working at an Exxon Service Station in Vancouver, British Columbia. My assignment was to pump gas into the vehicle, check the oil and tires – wash the front windows and smile. Those were the days when ‘Gas Stations’ actually gave you service and there was no such thing as ‘Self Serve.’ I had been working with my dad since the 8th grade but this new job was outside the family and I was a bit fearful to say the least.

I was able to land this position because of a relationship I had with a friend – who in turn had a relationship with the owner. I discovered this old adage to be true: “It’s not what you know but who you know that matters the most.”

Relationships are of key importance if doors and opportunities are to open in any area – especially employment. One can understand the frustration with ‘Job Hunting’ in today’s climate because many times it’s done through filling out a “Resume” and little – if any, personal contact.

Having a relationship with God is key because if you are His friend – He knows everyone. He is able to give you favor and open doors for you.

Revelation chapter 3 – in the Bible, we are told that God speaks to a specific group of people and tells them this: “These are the words of him who is holy and true…What God opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. I know your deeds…. I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut… “

When decisions need to be made in reference to future opportunities – I pray the same prayer that I’ve prayed – hundreds of times – over the past 65 years. “Oh God if this opportunity is right for me then ‘Open the Door’ but if it’s not the correct choice – please ‘Close the Door.”

God can open and close doors. When He chooses to close a door it is for our best! We may be disappointed with His ‘No’ to our request but with hindsight – His wisdom can often be perceived. Some of the greatest blessings for me personally have resulted from Him not allowing me to have what I desire and requested.

Here’s what I have learned: When God closes a door that you wish He would open – He does so because He intends to open a door – you could not imagine would open.

In 2002 God closed doors to a 28-year vocation that was based in Fresno, Ca. My resignation brought many tears and not knowing what was next in my life brought more tears.

I could not have imagined what God would do – two years later.
In January 2004 He opened a door to the city of Hanford that would allow me the privilege of being the Lead Pastor of ‘Koinonia Church.” As a result: The people of Hanford and Kings County have provided my family with tremendous joy over the past 13 years. I’m reminded of a scripture that says: “…Weeping may last for the night, but joy comes with the morning…” My morning came in 2004.

Don’t be discouraged when doors are closed or even slammed in your face. God has plans for opening a door that you can’t imagine. He says to you: 1 Cor. 2:9 “… No eye has seen, no ear has heard and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.” He has plans for you and they are all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment