Saturday, June 4, 2016

Expectation

by Andrew Cromwell

You get what you expect. I know that’s not always true. Like you, I’ve been disappointed plenty of times when I expected one thing and got another. I expected a great steak and instead I got shoe-leather. I expected perfect weather and got rain. I expected to win and I lost.

But there is something powerful about expectation and we all realize it. I have heard it described like an energy that is sent out and draws that which is expected back toward you. I don’t think that is exactly how it works, but I have seen my expectations influence people. I can see my expectation affect my kids. When I expect them to succeed and they know it, they try harder and succeed more often. When I expect them to fail, they barely even try.

When our outlook on life is one of positive expectation, things often turn out positively. But when we have a negative expectation, I can guarantee you, we will find something to meet it. When I go to Wal-mart I tend to drive right to the front and look for parking spots close by. Probably 80% of the time I find one. My expectation is that I am going to find a spot. But if my expectation is that there probably will be no spots, then I don’t even bother driving up front because “there won’t be a spot anyway.”

It is a choice to view the world in a positive way. Pollyana said it well when she said, “If you look for the good in people, you will surely find it.” Those with positive expectation can always find something good in every situation and in every person.

Now, I think this is the way that everyone should live. The world would be a better place. As a pastor, I believe this is the way that God wants us to live. Because He created the world and made it good, we should expect that we will see good in it. And because He created human beings in His image, we know that we can always find something redeemable in everyone.

Romans 8:28 says that God works all things together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose. This means that if you are a follower of Christ, then the Father will work everything out in your favor. You can’t lose. Even when you lose, you can’t lose! Talk about a positive expectation!

So if life has beat you up, you need to know that God has a plan for you and that He wants to work things out in your favor. All you have to do is cooperate with Him. You need to put yourself in a position where He is on your side. If you’re far from God today, it’s an easy fix, come into His corner and let Him go to work for you. He has good things in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment