Saturday, February 25, 2017

Frustrated!!

by Sylvia Gaston
 
We’ve all been there. Overloaded with what feels like a ridiculous amount of frustration in your day caused by others around you. Have you been at the end of your rope because of a family member? Or co-worker? Or even a stranger?

 
In fact, as I type this, I’m on, what I call “eternal hold” with a governmental agency. Now that’s to be expected EXCEPT when I called earlier they gave me the option to not wait 12-18 minutes on hold but, instead, to get a call back when it was my turn. So, I did. They called back and an automated voice put me on hold. For quite awhile. WHAT? That wasn’t the deal! I’m frustrated.

 
To make matters worse, I can’t multi-task and keep working while I’m on unjustifiable hold because my phone doesn’t get great reception in our brick-walled offices. So, I need to stand next to the glass doors overlooking our back alley, watching the rain form puddles…while on hold…frustrated. So, I hang up. Very frustrated.

 
Frustration is the feeling of being upset or annoyed, especially because of the inability to change or achieve something. It is inevitable and a part of every day life.

 
Sometimes, though, it feels like it stacks up in our day. Before we can decompress from one frustration, here comes another. And another. And another. Here comes wave after wave of irritation, annoyance, anger. That’s when we feel the urge to punch someone in the face.


So, what’s the solution?
 
Usually, our frustration is caused by people. Most of the time we have no idea what another person’s struggle is that day. Perhaps their husband just moved out, their kid is cutting themselves, they are months behind on all of their bills, they are lonely, or they just received a horrible diagnosis.

 
Every day our paths cross with people who are deep in the problems of life. Many are feeling hopeless, sad, desperate.

 
So, when I want to punch someone in the face, I think of that. God’s quiet voice speaks to me that I need to see that person through His eyes. They are His little boy or girl who is struggling and just wants to be loved. My solution is to BE KIND even when I don’t feel like it. Why? I’ll be kind because it’s the right thing to do; because our world needs more kindness more than ever. But, mostly because that’s what God wants me to do.

 
Over the years, I have assembled a handful of Bible verses that I recall when I need to shift my perspective or attitude. One of them is Philippians 4:8 (ERV). Brothers and sisters, continue to think about what is good and worthy of praise. Think about what is true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected.

 
As I stood there, on eternal hold, watching the raindrops form concentric circles in the puddle in our alley, I was reminded to be kind.

 
I shifted my focus to see that my one raindrop of kindness will ripple out and touch those around me. But, my one raindrop of kindness won’t reach the entire puddle. However, as I watched the many raindrops fall, all rippling outward and overlapping, every square inch of that big puddle was touched.

 
Be a raindrop, radiating in your puddle. Be kind!

No comments:

Post a Comment