Saturday, February 11, 2017

Monday Moments

by Candace Cortez

I must admit, I love the month of February. But not because of Valentine’s Day, or even the President’s Day sales. I love February because it’s the month that means it’s no longer January! 

I have decided that January is the “Monday” of months! 

It’s true! January marks the end of the holiday season. The calendar is free of parties and festivities, which, as relieving as that seems, it can also be a little disappointing.  It’s back to the regular grind, granted (or maybe graced?) with the inspiration of a fresh start, but with the fatigue of social exhaustion! 

The month of December is much like the weekend. There are many moments with friends and family that I’m excited about. In youth ministry, I call these “post-able” moments, meaning things that happen in your life that you would take a picture of and post on Instagram or Facebook. 

I’ve come to realize that most of life is more of a January or Monday experience rather than a December experience.  As a mom of two young children, not every day is picnics and birthday parties. As a wife, not every day is our anniversary or even a date night. As a follower of Jesus, not every day is our baptism day or another mountain top experience. These are all big things. 

God has called us to be faithful with the little things. 

In Luke 16:10, Jesus tells His disciples, “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities.” This verse can be directly related to monetary stewardship, but I believe it relates to our time, talents and relationships as well. 

 My husband and I work hard to make date nights happen as often as possible, which typically means it happens about once a month. These nights we connect, laugh, share hearts, and usually eat good food. If I were to totally ignore him during the other 30 days of the month until our next opportunity to do something special, then most likely, our relationship would cease to thrive. It’s the purposeful embraces after work, the texts throughout the day, and the loving glances over our children’s head during a family movie that make up the difference. Just little things. 

As a parent, I am given around 5 hours a day (minus sleeping and regular school and work schedules) to spend on my kids. Honestly, when I count it out, it doesn’t seem like much, especially considering that those 5 hours have to include brushing teeth, cooking meals, cleaning, checking homework, basketball practice, and all the other little things that make up our day. How I feel about those moments directly effects how I invest those opportunities. I cannot wait until their birthday to let them know I love them. I have to show them in the “Monday Moments.” I have to be faithful in the dozens of little things that present themselves throughout the day. 

The same is also true of our walk with the Lord. I don’t always get to go on a retreat to reconnect with my Creator. So, I am left with a choice. I have 24 hours today. Will I be faithful with my few, and worship God even if it’s not always glamorous or post-able? Will I love God with everything on a Monday, even when the rush of Sunday is over?  Will I be faithful, as my Heavenly Father is faithful? 

So here’s my challenge for you and for me. Let’s find God in a Monday Moment this week. Doing the dishes, driving to work, walking the dog, all of these little moments count. He is there. Even on a Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment